I have this small DNS

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Dec 31 17:06:04 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 18:09, Odd Arild Olsen wrote:
> This is a DNS siutable for isolated static networks. I have run it with
> uClibc and Busybox. It obviously needs some cleanup. This release is mostly
> to test if there is any demand.
>
> http://www.oao.no/filer/scdns.tar.gz

Ooh.  This looks nice.

A todo item of mine is adding a DNS server to busybox (I did the research a
long time ago, back before I got involved with busybox, but I was trying to
write one in python and when I heard about the oak dns server I put it on the
back burner, then oak was abandoned...  Sigh.)

I'll gladly merge this (possibly after much massaging) after I shovel out from
my todo pile a bit (which I'm doing this weekend.  I'm going to try to get a
-pre2 out tomorrow on the theory that next week's could be just as insanely
busy for me as this past week was).  I'd say this has about a 25% chance of
making it into -pre2.  (Could happen, don't hold your breath.)

In any case the busybox applet will be called something like "dnsd" on the
theory that expanding this into a full fledge DNS server is just a matter of
adding CONFIG_FEATUREs...

> I must admit that I have not tested this newest version due to the HW being
> away, but I think there are only cosmetic differences.

I'd retest it anyway.  I just work that way. :)

> -rw-r--r--  1 oao users 4524 2005-12-30 00:38 scdns.o

Very nice.