syslog basic querry

alfred hitch alfred.hitch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 06:21:15 UTC 2005

Hi Rushi,

thanks for your response.
We were invoking syslogd without any options. So, that will solve the
reap size etc.

1) BUT, the bigger issue of logs not coming still remain. Observations
/ test sequence is very simple.

-> syslogd &
-> programs / daemons writting using syslog() functions.
-> tail -f /var/log/messages &
-> We can see logs on screen till messages isnt moved to messages.old
After that we have to issue another tail -f /var/log/messages.
Last tail will also work only till another round of reap.

I am surprised noone has observed this. Is everyone using a big log
file on their boxes ?

2) If one is to not write to flash very often for log messages. How
does one works around to get messages across reboots for crashes /
other info etc ?
delayed writes (again will miss out of last cycle before crash ?)?

Regards,
Alfred