Cannot reboot from busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Dec 23 17:50:05 UTC 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 02:28, IraqiGeek wrote:
> Not under Linux (or any *nix OS for that matter). I am realatively new to
> Linux, and mostly learning things as I go through my little project.

Ok.

> Anyway, the C program worked like a charm, and the system shut down in a
> blink (I think it bypassed the rc.shutdown script as the shutdown was way
> too fast).

Yeah, it did.  That's the system call you make to perform the actual shutdown.
(It's ignored if a normal process calls it, that's why you have to run it as
root.)

> To quote your previous email, this means that "busybox init being horked
> again", what do you mean by that? and what should I do?

It means that the reboot command is trying to send a message to init, so that
init does the actual shutdown (thus being able to run the shutdown scripts,
notify processes they should exit, etc).  Either that message isn't making it
to init, or init isn't responding properly.

> I am using busybox 1.01, glibc 2.3.6 for the mini system, and 2.3.4 on the
> LFS system, where everything is being compiled. Another thing I am doing
> (again, I dont think its the reason behind this) is stripping the built
> system with the following command:
>
> find /{,usr/}{bin,lib,sbin} -type f -exec strip --strip-debug '{}' ';'

That shouldn't make a major difference.

Could you try the current version of busybox (the most recent version out of
the snapshot directory)?  I don't remember us having fixed this problem
already, but I'd like to rule it out first when we're this close to a
release.