syslog basic querry

alfred hitch alfred.hitch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 04:51:03 UTC 2005

Hi,

We have just started using busybox syslogd and tail etc ..
2 Questions:

1) How to change the reap size after which syslogd shifts messages
from /var/log/messages to messages.old ? and then removes altogether ?
any option possible for runtime to syslogd

2) If I do a tail -f /var/log/messages and this file is "reap" ed in background.
I dont see any logs coming on screen, of course they are still going
to messages file. But, how to keep on getting these on screen also ..
some file handling desc. invalid issue ? any work arounds ?

Regards,
Alfred