Cannot reboot from busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Dec 22 09:25:57 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 23:36, IraqiGeek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am building a small Linux system around busybox. The system boots fine,
> the applets work fine apart from the halt and reboot. I am using the boot
> scripts from ttyLinux, which also uses busybox. When I run the reboot or
> halt applet I get the message "reboot: no process killed" in the case of
> reboot. Are there any specific applets, or options that I need to select
> before compiling busybox or any changes to any of the bootscripts I am
> using?

Which version of busybox are you using, and what's your config?

if you build busybox with init and then don't use busybox init, the halt and
reboot commands try to talk to busybox init to do their thing, and it doesn't
work.  If you build busybox without init, the halt and reboot command should
halt or reboot the system directly without going through init (which also
means your shutdown scripts don't get run, but oh well).

> I have done some googling about this, but couldn't come across any page
> that helped solving this.

It's showed up on this list several times before...