modutils and 2.4 kernel broken?

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Dec 20 09:10:50 UTC 2005

Robin Farine wrote:

>It has to do with kernel headers and glibc. ARM 2.6 kernels do not
>define values for the query_module and create_module system calls
>anymore.

This particular issue was occurring with a modified 2.4.26 kernel; I
know some code from the 2.6 kernels was backported so it's possible
that's what was happening.

>In general, header files from a specific kernel version should be
>used only when building kernel modules for this kernel version. To
>build user-space applications which must run with many kernel
>versions, a special set of kernel headers such as those the
>linux-kernel-headers Debian package provides should be used.

This seems to conflict with the docs for building glibc that I read over
the weekend.... Not that I am an expert - it took me all weekend to get
a working toolset - but ISTR the docs saying that you should use the
most recent kernel headers you can; I used 2.6.14 and that seemed to
work....  I'd be interested in finding some docs for building glibc/gcc....

--Yan