Crash after successfully mounting root filesystem over NFS and st arting busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Dec 18 20:57:21 UTC 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 14:47, Rob Landley wrote:

> > <4>Freeing unused kernel memory: 92k init
> > <6>init() line 782 /bin/busybox
>
> I'm not finding a busybox error message that looks anything like this in
> busybox/init/*, is it some kind of debug info you compiled in?

Oh, duh.  It's a _kernel_ message.  The kernel function init() from
init/main.c in the linux kernel source code, is throwing a bug at line 782.

Unfortunatately, you didn't tell us what kernel version you're using either,
so I can't match this to a useful statement in the kernel source.  (My system
has 2.6.15-rc4 source on it, and init/main.c in that is only 747 lines long.)

But that also implies to me that your kernel is dying before it even manages
to run busybox.  (It may be during its attempt to do so, I don't know.)