[busybox] Out of the world...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Dec 17 22:11:39 UTC 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 13:06, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> It just occurred to me that one of the machines relaying my mail is
> undergoing (heavy) maintenance this WE (and I won't shout at them, they
> do it for free on their spare time, and the machine is graciously hosted
> and run off my former school resources, thanks to them!).
>
> So I went to the archives...
>
> [modutils and 2.4 kernel broken?]
> Yan,
>
> I will look to the .config file from TS with BB 1.1.0-pre1 and current svn.
> I've tested right here, and it (at least) compiles. As I said, I'm trying
> qemu (fed up with rebooting my notebook each time). Rob, have you got some
> quick hints, as you seem to use that?

I built it from source, doing the "./configure; make; make install thing".  I
remember I had to install the SDL headers in order for it to be able to
emulate a video card (which is _very_ useful: trying to debug stuff on a
headless box is always a pain).

Then I just run things like:

qemu -cdrom KNOPPIX.iso
qemu -cdrom KNOPPIX.iso -hda hda.img -boot d

Actually partitioning a hard disk image file so I could run lilo against it
and debug the full kernel boot turned out to be a bit of a pain, but I
eventually got it to work.  (Script attached.)

That works with just "qemu -hda hda.img"

Assuming you have something interesting to put in the image file. :)

Haven't started dealing with the copy on write images yet.  In theory I can
get it to emulate other processors, but in practice I haven't got any useful
images for other platforms to play with yet.  (There's no "knoppix for arm".
And you really need the cvs version for arm, the release version handles x86
and x86_6 ppc and so on, but actually getting arm to boot is recent.)

> Steven,
>
> > I wonder how I could set CONSOLE or console!?
>
> CONSOLE is passed to init by the kernel. Try to pass CONSOLE (or console)
> from the kernel command line. Tell your bootloader to add it to the kernel
> command line (lilo, grub, RedBoot, all can do that fairly easy). As an
> example:
>     console=/dev/ttyS0,115200n8

In case you're curious, the code to deal with that is in kernel/printk.c.  In
2.6.15-rc4 it's line 161, which leads you to console_setup on line 128...

The full list of kernel config stuff can be found by searching the linux
source code like this:
find . -name "*.c" | xargs grep '__setup('

Or fill in the specific keyword you're looking for:

find . -name "*.c" | xargs grep '__setup("console'