Bug triage.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Dec 12 03:49:08 UTC 2005

On Sunday 11 December 2005 15:17, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On Sunday 11 December 2005 212, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > --> Patch attached.
> > >     Heavy.
> > > The attached patch about modprobe rework solves these two issues. Note
> > > that it still relies on my MODPROBE_MULTIPLE_OPTIONS. Rediffed against
> > > rev 12789. => busybox-modprobe.patch.bz2
> >
> > This has unnecessary DEBUG() stuff in it.  I'll come back and give it a
> > closer look this evening.
>
> I left them on purpose. As I said in the config help, this is WIP, while
> waiting for the common parsing for all applets. So I thought I'd leave my
> DEBUGs for when this parsing thingy would be ready, at which point we could
> remove them.

Work in progress says to me "don't check this in yet".

> Plus I think that having some DEBUGs in code is never a bad thing.

In my experience, the set of printfs a given developer decides to stick in is
generally only of use to that developer, and other developers stick in
different printfs to analyze the code.

I know that even when there are existing debug statements, switching on the
master debug switch dumps so much information that what you want is lost in
the flood even if you know what you're looking for.  And it's also been known
to change behavior.  (In fact the last one of these I tried was lilo, where
switching on DEBUG broke the build because the last time the maintainer was
debugging anythign it was under DOS, and it was trying to print out the
contents of some variables that don't exist on Linux.)

> Now, if you want, I can re-submit a cleaned-up patch.

Yes please.  Personal preference.  I like keeping the code clean.

> > > --> Patch attached.
> > >     Easy.
> > > Another patch is attached that reworks the config options order and
> > > dependencies. Note that some options were used by either rmmod, insmod,
> > > lsmod or modprobe, but were available only when insmod was selected.
> > > Against rev 12789. => busybox-modutils-config-reworked.patch.bz2
> >
> > Applied.  This fixes bug 272 by itself?
>
> No, sorry I did not make me clear. I did not try to see if any bug (from
> your list, Rob) would be fixed by this config re-ordering. It seemed the
> good thing to do from what I saw in the code.

I'll unmark 272 on my list then. :)

> Now, sure there are bugs-to-be that are now avoided with this (I can see,
> at least, not looking at /etc/modprobe.conf for 2.6)

I'm not saying that we can't check in anything that's not a bugfix.  (Although
after -rc2 goes out, I'm probably going to ask for bugfixes only until New
Year's.)

But no new features right now, please. :)