Problems with output to console

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Sat Dec 10 10:41:20 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have two different ARM based boards (different CPUs, both Linux
2.6.14) running BusyBox v1.00.

I want a little application (started by a script that is started by
inittab) to output stuff using printf() on my serial console.

foobar.c is
int main (void)
{
        printf("Hello World (printf)!\n");
        return 0;
}

My /etc/inittab has

::sysinit:/opt/imc/start_imc
::askfirst:-/bin/sh

On one board I see the output. This one has /dev/ttySMX0 (204,41) as
serial console. On the other board I do _not_ see the output. This has
/dev/ttyS0 (4,64) as serial console.

When I start foobar directly in inittab it works on both.

When I create a link "ln -s /dev/ttySMX0 /dev/ttyS0" on the first board,
then I cant see the output there anymore.

Could someone please explain to me what's going on here.

Cheers,

Steven