Proof positive the "signedness of char *" warning is useless.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Dec 7 22:56:47 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 04:46, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:02:31AM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> >/busybox/archival/tar.c: In function 'writeTarFile':
> >/busybox/archival/tar.c:466: warning: missing sentinel in function call
>
> that 0 should be NULL.
>
> >/busybox/coreutils/coreutils.a(nohup.o): In function `close_stdout':
> >nohup.c:(.text+0x6a): warning:
> >/bin/sh: /busybox/docs/autodocifier.pl: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No
> > such file or directory
>
> What warning was there for nohup::close_stdout() ?

That's exactly what the compiler spit out.  (Printing out an empty warning
like that sometimes causes gcc 4.0.2 to hang if you attempt a static link.)

Bug 531 has a much better output, done by somebody who wasn't using gcc 4.0.2,
apparently. :)

http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=531

I'm triaging the bug list, and when I finish triaging them I'll fix lots and
lots of them.  I already fixed #550.  No, I didn't close it out.  I'm going
to post a list of the ones I fixed and the svn commit (in the case of 550, it
was 12711) and let whoever can get the bug system to work for them close it
out.

Most of these aren't hard to fix.  What's _hard_ is dealing with the #*%(&@(&%
bug system.

Probably get dinner first...