Latest svn revision 12662 compilation broken

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Dec 6 19:13:07 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 03:05, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 05:17:31PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> >On Monday 05 December 2005 16:08, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> >> could that be the config namespace biting again?
> >>
> >> BB_CONFIG_TR vs. the tokenring stuff, just as a very wild guess.
> >>
> >> Do you see anything suspicious in the preprocessor-output of applets.c?
> >
> >Huh.  That is a thought...
> >
> >One of the reasons I wanted to move everything over to ENABLE_.
> >
> >Kernel headers that pollute the namespace like that are broken.  Grep
>
> Do you have an opinion on when we can switch the config namespace over
> to BB_CONFIG_*?

It's one of the first things queued up for 1.2, and I'd like to yank the
CONFIG_ versions entirely (they still need to be generated, but shouldn't be
#included) in favor of the ENABLE versions.

We could switch over right now: #ifdef CONFIG_ simply becomes #if ENABLE_, and
#ifndef CONFIG_ becomes #if !ENABLE_, so there there's nothing the CONFIG
versions can do that the ENABLE versions can't.

But doing it piecemeal means we examine the uses of them as we switch, which
is a definite plus.

> IIRC you wanted to wait until we opened the
> busybox-1_1-branch and only then switch trunk to BB_CONFIG, yes?

Um, I don't want to hold up 1.1.0 for this yes.  That's shipping new year's,
and we need at least two weeks of a -pre2 out before then.

> PS: erik did already switch sysctl to BB_CONFIG, i'd prefer to do the
> same for watchdog and tr for the 1.1 release(-candidate)..

Why don't you switch just those two over to ENABLE_?  It at least gets the
current problem resolved.

Some people have brought up the possibility of ENABLE_ having clashes with
inclusion in other code, but we don't excape every single function name we've
got because of this possibility.  Improperly sanitized kernel headers
polluting the namespace with CONFIG_ symbols is a _bug_, and you only want to
run just so far away from bugs before you face them down and brain them with
a crowbar.