Proof positive the "signedness of char *" warning is useless.

Ihno Krumreich ihno at suse.de
Tue Dec 6 09:00:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:23:50PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 05 December 2005 12:16, Ihno Krumreich wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > attached is a patch to remove some of signed warnings.
> > The code was compiled with a gcc 4.1.0.
> >
> > Regards
>
> Cool.
>
> Did you look at it to figure out why they specified signed in the first place?
> (You have to go out of your way to say "signed", I'm wondering why they did
> that.)

in conf.c and confdata.c I can see no reason. The scope of the variables
is local and no other obvious reason.

> The switch to socklen_t I'm pretty comfortable with.  The rest I'd like
> somebody to say "yeah, I read through the code and this is what they actually
> meant"...

On the other code parts I have seen only assigments and the compares where
"equal" or "not equal".

Ihno

"Never trust a computer you can lift."
Ihno Krumreich            ihno at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Projectmanager S390 & zSeries
Maxfeldstr. 5             +49-911-74053-439
D-90409 Nürnberg          http://www.suse.de