[buildroot] $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded on a SHARED library...WHY?

John Z. Bohach jzb at aexorsyst.com
Tue Dec 6 06:57:37 UTC 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 22:32, John Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:18:24 -0800, John Z Bohach <jzb at aexorsyst.com>
>
> wrote:
> >If you'd like to destroy your system, or build an otherwise useless one,
> > see what happens when you `strip --strip-unneeded` on a shared library.
> >
> >I'm not sure if its worth patching, as I'm not certain of the future of
> >buildroot, but the $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded ... incantation is used in
> >numerous buildroot/package .mk files...most inappropriately on shared
> >libraries (.so's).
>
> Buildroot uses strip -x on my uclibc shared library and it works fine.
> I don't see a problem.

Okay...here's an idea:

`strip --strip-unneeded /lib/libuClibc*`

What have you got to lose?  But you may see a problem afterwards...

P.S.:  You might want to consult the strip manpage and see if there's a slight
difference between the -x and the --strip-unneeded options...

Do note that my original post refers to '--strip-unneeded'...

     ###  Any similarity between my views and the truth is completely ###
     ###  coincidental, except that they are endorsed by NO ONE       ###