[buildroot] $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded on a SHARED library...WHY?

John Z. Bohach jzb at aexorsyst.com
Tue Dec 6 06:18:24 UTC 2005

This is post in case anyone uses buildroot...

In many instances of shared library installation, I notice that the authors of
the package/{package_x}/{package_x}.mk file really like to render their
shared libraries useless.

If you'd like to destroy your system, or build an otherwise useless one, see
what happens when you `strip --strip-unneeded` on a shared library.

I'm not sure if its worth patching, as I'm not certain of the future of
buildroot, but the $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded ... incantation is used in
numerous buildroot/package .mk files...most inappropriately on shared
libraries (.so's).

Just an FYI...

--
     ###  Any similarity between my views and the truth is completely ###
     ###  coincidental, except that they are endorsed by NO ONE       ###