A set of scripts to make a live cd from your main setup.

sreekant kodela sreekant_kodela at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 19:31:07 UTC 2005

Hi Rob

> Is this dynamic (based on /sys) or static nodes?

I am not sure what that means! Basically
/etc/rc.d/mountcd searches the
oldstyle /dev/hdc etc, devfs style /dev/cdroms/cdrom?
etc and finds the cd
then mounts it as /cdrom.

Then the /etc/rc.d/links script links /cdrom/zz/lib/*
to /lib/ and /cdrom/zz/bin/* to /bin/ and
/cdrom/zz/usr to /usr etc. Finally it also can run
ldconfig.

For storing the kernel modules on cdrom, I created
/lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION on live root and
/cdrom/zz/lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION is mount -o
bind'ed to /lib/modules...

So that the depmod and modprobe doesn't moan they are
links.

Basically I am hoping to make a live cd that is easily
customizable in that you can put all your added
software on cdtree/zz and it will be available at run
time.

Also next step would be to add a script during making
the live cd that will load a text file, parse it to
get the network details of each live cd.

This should make, generating a bunch of live cd's each
with individual ip addresses and hostnames.

> qemu is highly cool, isn't it?

Indeed. I actually installed win2k on to a 1gb file
under linux. Very satisfying to be able to lie to
windows and if anything, it runs almost
as fast as win2k machines at work, even in emulation
!!!!

Ta
sree