BusyBox/inittab weirdness

Rory Vieira rory.vieira at coolview.nl
Mon Dec 5 17:41:32 UTC 2005

Hi,

I stumbled on this without even knowing it...

I compiled BusyBox with almost all options enabled (including init).
It also includes 'standalone shell'...

Now my inittab start off like:
-------------------------------
::sysinit:echo "Starting up Linux `uname -r`..."
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -n -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/root /
null::sysinit:/bin/busybox --install -s
-------------------------------

Now my rootfs is extremely empty. It only includes busybox, inittab, fstab
and rcS...
What I don't understand it this:
The first line shows 'echo' and 'uname' without a path specification.
The second line though is '/bin/mount'!
Obviously I needed to make the 'mount', 'sh', and 'init' links beforehand.
Why do I need to do this for mount etc, but not with echo or uname?

I can understand the echo (builtin), but not the uname.
If I change the second line to just 'mount...' it claims it can find mount
at all...

I'm very confused here...
Hope someone has a clear answer for this one...
Cheers,
Rory Vieira