"job control turned off" faq incomplete?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Dec 4 18:13:02 UTC 2005

On Saturday 03 December 2005 10:21, Rory Vieira wrote:
> Gildas,
>
> I noticed that as long as my rootfs is readonly I got the message.
> So the top two lines in my inittab were
>   1. Mount /proc
>   2. Remount root readwrite...
>
> It comes back when I explicitly remove the second line...
> Ps, I only have one console which is on tty0...
> Hope this helps,

Lemme guess: /dev is on your read-only root filesystem, thus tty0 is read
only, so it can't do things like chown it to belong to whoever just logged
in?

That can have funky side effects, and is another reason to use udev on tmpfs.
(My dumb little script to populate /dev from /sys is attached.  I have a
version of this ported to C and a quick and dirty spec for a config file
format for it that Solar and I worked out in IRC one evening, but it's 1.2
material.)