"job control turned off" faq incomplete?

Gildas Bayard gildas.bayard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:58:00 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm fighting for hours with the damn "sh: can't access tty; job
control turned off" message at boot.

There is a FAQ related to the problem but I think it lacks information.
I copied default inittab behaviour from busybox documentation and
tried to tweek things in but I have no idea how am I suppose to "run
your shell on a normal tty such as tty1 or ttyS0 and everything will
work perfectly".

I'm using busybox on a PC and want to see the console on the VGA. So
my tty is tty0 right?
first process run is busybox /sbin/init (well I have an initrd running
before) which parses inittab, hence I guess there's something to
change here.
Could you help me?

Gildas