The infamous erase problem and a msh problem

Juergen Hennerich juergen.hennerich at gmx.de
Wed Aug 31 09:21:07 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a lot of applications in which the backspace key does not work. I
get only ^?. And I know this is a terminal problem. While stty erase
'^?' cures that, is there another way to fix this problem?

I thought it would be a good idea to put stty erase '^?' in
/etc/profile, but this does not work. Is there a reason, why msh only
reads /etc/profile and .profile if msh is called msh - ?.

When I call msh - I get:

root:/>msh -
stty: standard input: Bad file descriptor
exitroot:/>

Did I something wrong or is there a problem with msh?

Juergen