[BusyBox] Tab completion in 1.00*

Jared Rhine jared at wordzoo.com
Tue Oct 28 21:23:28 UTC 2003

[Dzuy == dzuy at itlogistic.net on Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:00:25 -0600]

Dzuy> I use busybox's inittab.

Ok, as long as you're actually using busybox's init and don't have an
/etc/inittab in place.  inittab handling has changed between these
versions.  Obviously, we should be focusing on those parts that have
changed between 0.6 and 1.00.

Dzuy> I don't think it's a terminal problem.

Shrug.  There's probably a few hundred users who are pretty damn sure
it's not a busybox problem, as it works for us.  I wasn't suggesting
it's a terminal issue per-se; I had significant problems with tab
completion when multiple shells were trying to bind vc1 due to inittab
configuration issues, for instance.  This could also happen if it's
binding /dev/console.

It's also odd that command history (up-arrow) is broken as well as
file completion.  Since those are different busybox configuration
options, it'd be odd to have a bug that hits both.  Check the top of
shell/cmdedit.c for some understanding of the logic of these
configuration options.  Compare these to your .config.

Dzuy> It happens on both on the keyboard and ssh (remote login)
Dzuy> sessions.

Presumably, those give different 'tty' outputs, though.  Otherwise,
that's an indication of something odd.

Dzuy> It worked perfectly on 0.60.3 for me and I practically compile
Dzuy> the newer busybox with the same options.

You certainly shouldn't be using the same or similar .config as the
options have changed significantly in 1.00.  If you haven't already,
you should go through and do a fresh configuration from scratch.  You
probably have already done this, of course.

Based on the "it works for us", I don't think you'll get anyone to
stand up now and say "oh, yeah, there's a busybox bug here; let me go
fix it".  The reasonable assumption is that it is a configuration
issue on your end.  As such, it's difficult to help further as there
isn't much information about your specific configuration to go on.

To pursue this issue further, you'd probably want to submit a much
more detailed problem report.  Your platform, shell used, busybox
.config, environment variables, inittab, stty -a, etc; as much
information as you can think of.  Otherwise, I'm concerned your report
will stay at a "works for me" state.

-- jared at wordzoo.com

"Truth is a great flirt." -- Franz Liszt