[BusyBox] Console Problems

Pagnotta, Chris chris.pagnotta at viasat.com
Tue Oct 21 18:22:35 UTC 2003

I am having some trouble getting the console to come up.

1) Hardware PPC405
   Linux 2.4.22-pre8
   BusyBox- tried stable/unstable
   uclibC - tried  uClibc-0.9.19 through uClibc-0.9.21

I first tried to get the stdout to work correctly by passing the
kernel init="/bin/busybox".

I get the correct output.

Then I allow busybox init to be executed and change /etc/inittab to
respawn helloworld. Don't know why it complains about syscall.
However, it does execute helloworld correctly.

VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 76k init
Starting init...
init: can't resolve symbol 'syscall'
Executing init
OK we are going to execute /bin/helloworld
Starting pid 9, console /dev/ttyS0: '/bin/helloworld'
Hello World

I did change the /etc/initab know to execute /bin/sh(::respawn:-bin/sh).
This is the only line in the /etc/initab.

When I do this it seems that execv does not work in init.c. I scratch my
head and look
at symlinks and /dev, all is well.

Freeing unused kernel memory: 76k init
Starting init...
init: can't resolve symbol 'syscall'
Executing init
OK we are going    /* This is the printf right before execv in init.c. Yes
                      the printf gets cut off and we end just trying to
respawn
                      /bin/sh forever.
                      printf("OK we are going to execute %s\n", cmdpath);
                      fflush(0);
                      execv(cmdpath cmd) */

Anyone????