[BusyBox] Re: updated count applet

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 17 06:29:09 UTC 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 00:34, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:26:08AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 October 2003 22:06, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> > I still think unsigned long long counts as "large file support", but
> > you've said you disagree...
>
> Only because you might have built busybox without large file support
> but still want to count more data passing through than will fit in an
> unsigned long.  I doubt it is a big deal.

You build without large file support, but you want count to track more than 2
gigabytes passing through a filehandle.  While it could be done, I don't see
why.  (But then I'm sleep deprived, and STILL haven't gone out to get
caffiene.  But I've cleared my email inbox now... :)

The failure case behavior is that the count will wrap, it won't crash or
corrupt the data passing through it, it's just the display will start
counting up from negative 2 billion.  You'll still get a progress indicator
that lets you know it isn't hung, and about how fast it's going, which is the
main thing I've found it useful for...

> I just posted this version as Glenn mentioned he wanted to add count.
> You/Glenn/Erik can decide about the type of the counter.

I'm all for it going in, but I don't have CVS access.  (Eric offered, and I
might take him up on it someday, but right now I prefer to just post my code
and let people look at it first.  I don't think I've been hanging around here
long enough to make unilateral architectural decisions. :)