[BusyBox] Sed and vi.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 11 16:45:20 UTC 2003

In message <200310110119.01208.rob at landley.net> you wrote:

> > > I think they might be ed commands, which is about the same as sed.
> >
> > You gess wrong. ed is not even nearly the same as sed.
>
> Today, no.  Thirty years ago, they were almost exactly the same, having
> derived from the same code base.  (Filter out the gnu extensions and they're
> a lot closer.)

You are wrong again, and on both accounts: the commands are not  even
nearly  the  same,  and  the sources are very different. Feel free to
check for example with the Unix Seventh Edition Manual at
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk
[who used to run Unix 7th ed. on a PDP11 some decades ago]

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from the Boss... "I didn't say it was your fault.  I said I was
going to blame it on you."