[BusyBox] Applets Question

Karthik M k_mohanas at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 17:15:02 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to busybox and am trying to understand
how it works. I read the source code and got the feel
of how it works overall but have a basic question.

I tried searching the archive but could'nt find
anything .. did'nt do a very thorough search though.
sorry abt that

The questions is:

in applets.c find_applet_by_name(name) returns the
applet name and applet_using->main() is the function
invoked for every command in there.

for example in the case of mount:

mount->main() function is invoked whenever mount is
called and this function inturn invokes others and
finally do_mount() is invoked inside mount.c.

Inside do_mount() there is a stmt :

status = mount (.....);

i am confused about this above statement and does it
actually call the systemcall mount ?? , if so how does
busybox know to invoke the system call as mount in
this case should again recognize the /bin/mount which
is symlinked to busybox again ??

my confusion is how busybox invokes the appropriate
system call for every binary from its respective
mini-implementations.

Thanx for all the answers and u'r time

karthik