[BusyBox] bzip2 compress support in busybox?

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Fri Oct 3 07:58:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 01:09:48 -0500
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Anybody object to me hacking this in as a config option?  I'm
> currently building bzip2, and it seems silly to have busybox able to
> decompress but needing to pull in another package to compress...
>
> The standard dynamically linked Red Hat 9 version is 29,180 bytes, and
> that's both compress plus uncompress plus command line option parsing
> plus...  (It's half the size of gzip.  This is how you can tell the
> gnu project was not involved.  Big animals, gnus.  Lots of fat,
> apparently...)

busybox gunzip is only about 8kB :)

I did the orginal commit for bzip2, i only concentrated on the
decompression stuff because i figured thats wwhat it would mostly be
used for.

As long as there is an option to only support decompression and that
adding compression doesnt increase the decompression size
(without good reason) then you have my support.

Glenn