[Buildroot] gmp.h error compiling Linux 5.11 with Buildroot 2021.02 default arm toolchain

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Wed Mar 24 16:35:14 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:54:12 +0100
Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenacker at bootlin.com> wrote:

> Indeed, when compiling the kernel from outside of Buildroot is breaking,
> CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_ARM_SSP_PER_TASK is set,and if I disable this option,
> the kernel builds fine. The kernel built by Buildroot internally didn't
> have this flag.

Ah, in Buildroot we have committed
40e0bf4c0c36970f8e94591fdb0a5a8910bf9859 which forcibly disables the
use of gcc plugins.

There's a lengthy explanation from Yann about that. Though admittedly,
long term, this is not really a very satisfying solution.

> What was unexpected for me is that this option is set by "make
> omap2plus_defconfig" depending on your CROSS_COMPILE setting. With
> arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc package by Ubuntu, you don't have it, but you do
> have it with the Buildroot or ARM toolchain. It's because it depends on
> a test for gcc plugins (see
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/A/ident/CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_ARM_SSP_PER_TASK
> and https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/K/ident/CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS)
>

> > To me, it seems like passing
> > HOSTCXXFLAGS=-I/path/to/buildroot/output/host/include when building
> > the kernel should get you passed the issue when building the kernel
> > externally.
>

> Right, I confirm this works. Thanks!

Good!

> > when building the kernel, so the kernel build system does invoke the
> > native gcc with the appropriate -I option pointing to
> > $(HOST_DIR)/include.
>
> Good to know, thanks! Is there anything that should be changed in the
> Linux build system or in our toolchains ?

No, I don't think there's anything that can be changed here. Or perhaps
pkg-config could be used to detect which compiler flags are needed to
build gcc plugins? Doesn't seem that easy though.

Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com