[Buildroot] [RFC/next v2 1/2] package/rpi-firmware: rework boot/config file handling

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sat Mar 20 22:09:46 UTC 2021

Peter, All,

On 2021-03-18 23:25 +0100, Peter Seiderer spake thusly:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 22:29:42 +0100, "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr> wrote:
> > OK, so here's my new proposal:
> >
> >   - keep your BR2_PACKAGE_RPI_FIRMWARE_CONFIG_FILE, which points to a
> >     default, basic one, not unlike the busybox default config:
> >         default "package/rpi-firmware/config.txt"
> >
> >   - package/rpi-firmware/config.txt is just the common part of all the
> >     config.txt you currently had in your patch
> >
> >   - rpi-firmware.mk will add arm_64bit=1 as needed, based on
> >     BR2_aarch64=y, because that *really* is not an option.
> >
> >   - add BR2_PKG_RPI_FW_DTOVERLAY_LIST as I suggest above, which is not
> >     empty, will be copied as is to dtoverlay
> >
> >   - change the defconfig files to just set:
> >     BR2_PKG_RPI_FW_DTOVERLAY_LIST="miniuart-bt"
> >
> > That way, we get best of both worlds:
> >
> >   - we avoid duplication of the config.txt, and we can still customise
> >     it a bit with just "easy stuff" that we need for our example
> >     defconfigs,
> >
> >   - users can stil point to their custom, fine-tuned config.txt (in
> >     which case they will probably not set BR2_PKG_RPI_FW_DTOVERLAY_LIST)
>
> Finally found time for a new iteration of the patch set:
>
> - fixed two bugs
> - changed the firmware list handling to one-assignment style
> - changed the firmware install to make-level foreach loop
> - changed the dtb overlay install to make-level foreach loop
>
> - kept the verbatim BR2_PACKAGE_RPI_FIRMWARE_CONFIG_FILE option,
>   as your suggestion missed one more point where the config.txt
>   files diverge (aside from dtoverlay=miniuart-bt and arm_64bit=1),
>   the start_file=start.elf/fixup_file=fixup.dat or start_file=start4.elf/
>   fixup_file=fixup4.dat as the firmware files are now copied verbatim...,
>   and still confident that the principal of taking a verbatim copy of
>   a given file is more flexible than implementing some more or less smart
>   logic...

But now, you will notice that all the config.txt will load the default
fixups/start_file blobs appropriate for the hardware, so they do not
need to be specified. The rpi docs state they are "an advanced option".

Also, I wonder why we specify a memory split. 100M for the GPU seems
arbitrary. We should keep the defaults unless there is a reason not to,
and thus not specify any.

We're now left with just the qt5we defconfig that differs just because
a bit more memory is allocated tp the GPU on the 1GB+ models. But if we
indeed drop setting the memory split between CPU/GPU, then we no longer
need a special config.txt for qt5we either, at the expense of a bit of
memory on the ARM side (but that should be OK as it is OK for smaller
RAMs...).

As for the 64-bit thing: I insist that we *must* enforce it to be set
to the proper value, i.e. 0 (or not set) for 32-bit builds, and 1 for
64-bit builds, because that variable is not an option: its value really
depends on theconfiguration of the build, not on users' customisation
will.

Eventually, we're left with the dtoverlay variable. Appending the value
of that variable, if set, verbatim into the config.txt is not trying to
be too smart, I believe. ;-)

So we can have a single config.txt, with a very easy way for users to
base off that with dtoverlay customisations, and if they need more
tricks, they can provide their own config.txt and/or their own
post-build script, to apply whatever customisations they need.

At the very extreme, if the BR2_PKG_RPI_FW_DTOVERLAY_LIST variable is
still seen as being too smart, then I think we could maybe have two
config.txt: one that loads the miniuart-bt dtoverlay, and one that does
not.

And finally, we should get rid of the commented-out initramfs setting.
I don't want that we document the file; rather, I want users to read the
documentation at the source, i.e. the rpi foundation-maintained docs:

    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/README.md
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/boot_folder.md

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.