[Buildroot] Buildroot 2021.02 released
peter at korsgaard.com
Sat Mar 6 21:59:32 UTC 2021
Buildroot 2021.02 is released - Go download it at:
Or get it from Git:
Please give it a spin and report any problems to the mailing list or
Again a very active development cycle with more than 1600 changes and
contributions from more than 120 unique contributors!
Of noteworthy new features/changes we have:
- Toolchain: Default to binutils 2.35.2, add 2.36.1, drop 2.33.x. Fix
GCC 10.x ARC adc/sbc pattern handling, Update ARM toolchains to
- Vulnerability scanning: The CVE checking logic has been extended to
match packages based on CPE (Common Platform Enumeration) IDs for more
accurate matching, and CPE identifiers have been added for a large
amount of packages.
- Download: Rework the tarball creation logic (E.G. when a package is
fetched from a git/svn repo) to no longer require a host-tar <=
1.29. To differ between the old and the new format, the new tarballs
have gained a -br1 suffix (<pkg>-<version>-br1.tar.gz).
- SELinux support: A significant number of packages now pull in the
relevant refpolicy modules when enabled.
- New defconfigs: arrow avenger96, bananapi M1+, microchip sam9x60ek,
- New packages: balena-engine, casync, coremark, coremark-pro,
datatables, datatables-buttons, datatables-fixedcolumns,
datatables-responsive, delve, frotz, gkrellm, inih, jszip, libgeos,
libiec61850, libmdbx, lualdap, neofetch, nvidia-modprobe, open62541,
perl-devel-cycle, perl-devel-size, perl-extutils-pkgconfig,
perl-math-int64, ply, popperjs, python-bleak, python-defusedxml,
python-pycups, python-pytest-asyncio, python-typing-extensions,
qcom-db410c-firmware, qt5coap, qt5knx, qt5mqtt, quickjs,
rcw-smarc-sal28, screenfetch, ssdp-responder, tpm2-pkcs11, wqy-zenhei,
And the usual package version updates and bug fixes. See the CHANGES
file for details:
Upgrading from 2020.02.x:
In addition to these changes, for people upgrading from 2019.02.x the
most noteworthy changes since that release are:
- Support for GCC 10.x, addition of Bootlin external toolchains, Glibc
2.32, musl 1.2.2, uClibc-ng 1.0.37
- Support for gobject-introspection: both the gobject-introspection
package itself, but also introspection support was enabled in a
number of other packages.
- SELinux support improvements: File security contexts are now set when
the file systems are created, so there is no need to run restorecon on
first boot / read only rootfs is supported. An optimized / stripped
refpolicy SELinux policy is now used. Packages can enable additional
refpolicy modules using <pkg>_SELINUX_MODULES.
- Addition of support for the apparmor Linux security module, by
adding the necessary user-space packages.
- Addition of a qmake package infrastructure, now used by most
- The Luarocks package infrastructure has been extended to
support build host packages.
- The package infrastructure was improved to allow each package
to indicate the Linux kernel configuration options it needs.
- Architectures: Support for IBM s390x
- 'make pkg-stats' can now be used to output information about the
packages enabled in a Buildroot configuration, including checking for
known CVEs. Output is provided in both HTML and JSON format for
viewing and easy post processing.
- Go: Modules handling. The module name must be specified using
- BR2_EXTERNAL: Support for defining filesystem skeletons and init
system packages in external trees.
This release will be become our new long term support releases, which
means it will be supported with security and other important fixes until
2022.02 is out. The previous 2020.02.x LTS release will see atleast one
more update before it becomes EOL in April, so start migration to
The next release will be 2021.05. Expect the first release candidate
in early May and the final release at the end of the month.
Bye, Peter Korsgaard
More information about the buildroot