[Buildroot] Buildroot 2021.05 released

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Mon Jun 7 09:12:39 UTC 2021

Hi,

Buildroot 2021.05 is released - Go download it at:

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2021.05.tar.gz

or

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2021.05.tar.bz2

Or get it from Git:

git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot

Please give it a spin and report any problems to the mailing list or bug
tracker.

This was another fairly big development cycle with more than 1300
changes all over the tree and 96 unique contributors! I'm once again
very happy to see so many "new" people next to the "oldtimers".

Of noteworthy new features/changes we have:

- FORTIFY_SOURCE, PIC/PIE, RELRO and SSP security hardening options are
  now enabled by default.

- CMake infrastructure: Use CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS rather than
  CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS to link with libatomic to fix an compatibility issue
  with poppler. Bump minimal host cmake version to 3.16 (from 3.15) to
  fix a compatibility issue with domoticz.

- Meson: Use correct C++ host compiler (rather than C compiler)

- support/download: Fix tarball generation (from git/svn repos)
  including symlinks pointing to ./<something>. Fix svn download for
  <1.9 clients or repos using CVS-style keywords.

- Infrastructure: Expose CONFIG_DIR to post-build/post-image scripts, so
  they can call the Buildroot Makefile in the correct directory
  for both in-tree / out-of-tree builds.

- support/scripts/gen-missing-cpe: A script to query the list of CPE IDs
  for the packages enabled in the current configuration and:

  - for CPE IDs that do not have any matching entry in the CPE
    database, it emits a warning

  - for CPE IDs that do have a matching entry, but not with the same
    version, it generates a snippet of XML that can be used to propose
    an updated version to NIST.

- support/scripts/cve.py: Use the (significantly) faster yajl2 ijson
  backend for older (< 2.5) ijson versions rather than the slow python
  default, speeding up pkg-stats by ~2x.

- CPE meta data has been added for a large number of packages

- Python{,3}: Fix byte compiling python files with short (single
  character before .py) file names.

- New defconfigs: Acme Systems Acqua A5 (256/512MB), Beagleboard
  BeagleV, Boundary devices Nitrogen8M Plus SOM, NXP i.MX 8M Plus EVK,
  QEMU PPC e500mc

- New packages: beaglev-ddrinit, beaglev-secondboot, janet,
  kodi-inputstream-ffmpegdirect, kodi-vfs-libarchive,
  kodi-visualisation-matrix, libxcrypt, libqrtr-glib, log4qt, mawk,
  perl-parse-yapp, postgis, protozero, python-flask-wtf, python-iwlib,
  python-semantic-version, python-setuptools-rust, python-toml,
  riscv64-elf-toolchain, siproxyd, uftrace, zfs

And the usual package version updates and bug fixes. See the CHANGES
file for details:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/plain/CHANGES?id=2021.05

Many thanks to the people contributing to this release:

git shortlog -s -n 2021.02..

   439	Fabrice Fontaine
   171	Bernd Kuhls
    92	Peter Seiderer
    70	Peter Korsgaard
    39	Francois Perrad
    38	Matt Weber
    38	Thomas Petazzoni
    29	Dick Olsson
    23	Yann E. MORIN
    21	Giulio Benetti
    18	Romain Naour
    17	Adam Duskett
    17	Jörg Krause
    11	Christian Stewart
    11	Heiko Thiery
    11	Michael Nosthoff
    10	Adrian Perez de Castro
    10	Grzegorz Blach
     9	James Hilliard
     9	Maxime Chevallier
     9	Petr Vorel
     9	Stephane Viau
     9	Sébastien Szymanski
     9	Thomas De Schampheleire
     8	Etienne Carriere
     7	Bartosz Bilas
     7	Baruch Siach
     6	Alexander Dahl
     6	Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
     6	Gary Bisson
     6	Guillaume W. Bres
     6	Matthew Weber
     6	Michael Walle
     6	Norbert Lange
     6	Ryan Barnett
     6	Titouan Christophe
     5	Chan, Donald
     5	Gleb Mazovetskiy
     5	Maxim Kochetkov
     5	Nicolas Cavallari
     5	Vincent Stehlé
     4	Pierre-Jean Texier
     4	Sergio Prado
     3	Alexander Egorenkov
     3	Asaf Kahlon
     3	Edgar Bonet
     3	Joachim Wiberg
     3	John Keeping
     3	Marcin Niestroj
     3	Sergey Matyukevich
     2	Charles Hardin
     2	Chris Packham
     2	Drew Fustini
     2	Einar Jon Gunnarsson
     2	Fabio Estevam
     2	Henri Roosen
     2	Ismael Luceno
     2	Jared Bents
     2	Jianhui Zhao
     2	Mario Fink
     2	Michael Vetter
     2	Sam Voss
     2	Tian Yuanhao
     2	Vineet Gupta
     2	Waldemar Brodkorb
     2	Yegor Yefremov
     1	Adrian Sweet
     1	Aleksander Morgado
     1	Alexander Sverdlin
     1	Andreas Ziegler
     1	André Hentschel
     1	Antoine Tenart
     1	Bert Outtier
     1	Bin Meng
     1	Brandon Maier
     1	David GOUARIN
     1	Dimitrij Kotrev
     1	Federico Pellegrin
     1	Filip Skoneczny
     1	Gilles Talis
     1	Gustavo Heinz
     1	Jack Cripps
     1	Jean-pierre Cartal
     1	José Luis Salvador Rufo
     1	Julien Olivain
     1	Leon Anavi
     1	Marcus Folkesson
     1	Markus Mayer
     1	Mircea GLIGA
     1	Nicolas Serafini
     1	Nicolas Toromanoff
     1	Ramon Fried
     1	Stefan Agner
     1	Stefan Sørensen
     1	Thomas Huth
     1	Vadym Kochan

And a special thanks to our patch reviewers (we would need more!):

git log 2021.02.. | grep -Ei '(reviewed|acked)-by:' | \
    sed 's/.*by: //' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r

      7 Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com>
      6 Stephane Viau <stephane.viau at oss.nxp.com>
      6 Peter Seiderer <ps.report at gmx.net>
      6 Gary Bisson <gary.bisson at boundarydevices.com>
      6 Alistair Francis <alistair.francis at wdc.com>
      5 Maxim Kochetkov <fido_max at inbox.ru>
      4 Marcin Niestroj <m.niestroj at grinn-global.com>
      3 Romain Naour <romain.naour at gmail.com>
      2 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com>
      2 Petr Vorel <petr.vorel at gmail.com>
      2 Matthew Weber <matthew.weber at collins.com>
      2 Christian Stewart <christian at paral.in>
      2 Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind) <arnout at mind.be>
      2 Alexander Dahl <post at lespocky.de>
      1 Ryan Barnett <ryan.barnett at rockwellcollins.com>
      1 Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com>
      1 Matthew Weber <matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com>
      1 Matthew Weber <Matthew.Weber at collins.com>
      1 Luca Ceresoli <luca at lucaceresoli.net>
      1 Heiko Thiery <heiko.thiery at gmail.com>
      1 Fabio Estevam <festevam at gmail.com>
      1 Etienne Carriere <etienne.carriere at linaro.org>
      1 Erico Nunes <nunes.erico at gmail.com>
      1 Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>
      1 Bartosz Bilas<b.bilas at grinn-global.com>
      1 Asaf Kahlon <asafka7 at gmail.com>
      1 Alexander Sverdlin <alexander.sverdlin at gmail.com>
      1 Alexander Egorenkov <egorenar at linux.ibm.com>
      1 Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>
      1 Vincent Fazio <vfazio at xes-inc.com>

The next release will be 2021.08. Expect the first release candidate at
the beginning of August and the final release at the end of the month.

This release will be supported with security and other important fixes
until 2021.08 is out. For longer support, consider our long term support
release (2021.02.x) instead, which will be supported until April 2022.