[Buildroot] Buildroot Logo Pictograph

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Fri Sep 13 20:03:28 UTC 2019

Hello,

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 15:37:26 +0200
Peter Korsgaard <peter at korsgaard.com> wrote:

>  > Hadas referred me to this professional looking explanation of why photograph
>  > is not a good choice for a logo:
>
>  >   https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270284
>
>  > Hadas also collected a few hundred random logos to demonstrate the point:
>
>  >   http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/2616906744_a238697a95_b.jpg
>
>  > SolidRun management agreed to let Hadas design an iconic pictograph version of
>  > the Buildroot logo. Here is the result.
>
>  > Two colored logo alternatives:
>
>  >   http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/colored_logo.png
>  >   http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/colored_logo2.png
>
>  > Two monochromatic alternatives:
>
>  >   http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/bw_logo.png
>  >   http://tinkie.tkos.co.il/buildroot-logo/bw_logo2.png
>
>  > Hadas can provide the vectorized SVG and PDF sources of these raster images.
>
>  > What do you think?
>
> I also don't really know anything about graphics design, but I like
> them! Thanks!
>
> Anyone disagrees, otherwise please send a patch adding the SVG to the
> repo (and if you feel up to it, update the website as well).

First of all, thanks a lot Baruch for proposing those logos, and many
thanks Hadas for working on them! I understand the idea that our logo
being a photograph makes it not the best logo, so I like your proposal
of a pictograph version.

As I am not a native English speaker and not at all a graphics/design
expert, it's a bit difficult to put words on how I feel about the logo
proposal. While I like the idea, I find the design a bit "coarse",
maybe too "pictographic". I know this feeling is not very helpful as-is
because it doesn't say what needs to be fixed or improved.

In any case, this is not a very strong feeling, so I certainly won't
oppose to this new logo just because of my vague comment, and I'll be
happy to see a logo change accepted!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com