[Buildroot] Why passing TARGET_DIR/BINARIES_DIR to post-build/post-install scripts?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Sep 8 20:26:38 UTC 2019

On 08/09/2019 20:03, Asaf Kahlon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many others, I have my post-build and post-images scripts when I
> work with Buildroot.
> I would like to know why do we pass TARGET_DIR as first parameter for
> the post-build script (same for BINARIES_DIR in post-images)? They are
> both available on both post-build and post-install environments and
> can be easily referenced by $TARGET_DIR and $BINARIES_DIR.
> Moreover, if I want to iterate through BR2_ROOTFS_POST_SCRIPT_ARGS in
> my script, I always have to cut the first argument instead of just
> using $@

 This is purely for historical reasons.

 The export of STAGING_DIR, TARGET_DIR etc. was only done in commit
2b0f455254149b, merged Jan 13, 2013. However, support for post-build scripts was
added years before, in commit eed7d8737adf merged Jul 25, 2009. So any existing
post-build script would expect $TARGET_DIR as its first argument, and we didn't
want to break that.

 Support post-image scripts was only merged later, but the $BINARIES_DIR
argument was still added for symmetry.

 We could consider to change this behaviour, since indeed it doesn't make much
sense at the moment. This is a pretty breaking change, however: any script that
relies on that first argument would break. And I see no easy way to warn the
unwary user of this. So it's not very likely that this change will happen...

 Regards,
 Arnout