[Buildroot] Problem openning buildroot tar after upgrading

Asaf Kahlon asafka7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 05:53:44 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Recently, I've upgraded my Buildroot version from 2018.05 to 2019.05.
I build my rootfs image with tar and I encounter some problems when I try
to open the archive on the board. During the extraction I noticed the
following message:
tar: warning: skipping header 'x
In addition, every file with path longer than 99 chars is truncated.
I digged through the history and saw Yann's commit (6d688e2132: fs/tar: add
support for xattrs). I locally removed the --xattrs-include flag and now
everything looks fine.

This seems like a known problem with old busybox versions (
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-February/077412.html).

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade my busybox version, but I still want to be
able to open the archive. I also tried to pass --no-attrs to
BR2_TARTGET_ROOTFS_TAR_OPTIONS, but it doesn't seem to work.

The only solution I have for now is locally removing the flag, but I don't
think it's the correct way to solve the problem.
Any ideas what else can I do?

Thanks,
Asaf.