[Buildroot] Patchelf: Execution error against host libraries

Gamble, Bradley bradley.gamble at ncipher.com
Mon Jul 22 13:10:59 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am currently attempting to perform a build using Buildroot 2019.05.1 targetting PowerPC. I am performing this build from within a Docker container based upon Debian.

When attempting a build within this container most steps will complete successfully until near "Finalizing target directory", when the build will fail. The output is as follows:

    >>>   Sanitizing RPATH in target tree
    /home/bgamble/buildroot-2019.05.1/support/scripts/fix-rpath target
    Error: can't execute patchelf utility '/home/bgamble/buildroot-2019.05.1/output/host/bin/patchelf'
    make[1]: *** [target-finalize] Error 1
    make: *** [_all] Error 2

Attempting to execute this binary indicates that it is expecting a newer version of libstdc++:

    $ ./output/host/bin/patchelf
    ./output/host/bin/patchelf: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./output/host/bin/patchelf)

The container I am using currently has version GLIBCXX_3.4.13, which we are required to use in order to maintain compatibility with additional software packages that we support.

Is it expected behaviour that this application should depend on a newer version of libstdc++ than is available on the current system? If so, is there a workaround to force compatibility with older versions of the library?

Regards,

bdg

________________________________

 [cid:image205928.PNG at e5d4a7c1.46a003c2] <http://www.ncipher.com>