[Buildroot] Queries/suggestions regarding patch series "grub2: add support for arm and aarch64"

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Fri Nov 2 10:04:20 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 20:23:27 +0100, Erico Nunes wrote:

> Using PARTUUID seems to be an interesting change. I'd like to hear the
> opinion of the other Buildroot developers before making this change in
> this patchset though, since most other platforms in Buildroot are not
> doing this.

It is certainly a good idea to use PARTUUID when possible.

> If there is interest in it, maybe we can do this change for other
> platforms too and in a separate patchset?

In general yes. However, my understanding was that it works only with a
GPT partition table, because only the GPT partition table can embed a
unique identifier per partition, not the old MBR partition table. But
apparently this disk-signature thing allows to embed a disk-wide
identifier, not a per-partition one, so it works only when there's a
single partition ?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com