[Buildroot] Building u-boot on PowerPC64 (but u-boot only supports 32 bits)

Alvaro Gamez alvaro.gamez at hazent.com
Tue Nov 13 09:10:34 UTC 2018

Hi!

I'm facing the same problem as discussed here
https://community.nxp.com/thread/376769

Basically, when compiling uboot against PowerPC64 e6500, buildroot fails
with this:
cc1: error: -mcall not supported in this configuration
cc1: error: -mrelocatable not supported in this configuration
cc1: error: -meabi not supported in this configuration

The explanation is that u-boot doesn't support 64 bits builds of
(some/all?) PowerPC CPUs.

Of course, the solution to this is simply to use a 32 bit toolchain, but I
don't want to use a 32 bit toolchain on all the other parts that my root
filesystem consists of, including both kernel and applications.

So, here's the question: is there anyway to make buildroot generate TWO
toolchains, in 32 and 64 bit versions, and mark specific packages (in this
case, u-boot) to use one or the other?

I can no doubt create another project that is intended only for building
u-boot, but then why would I use buildroot instead of simply compiling
u-boot? I'd really like to have everything integrated on buildroot, and I
guess this can be useful for any other packages.

Thank you, best regards!

--
Álvaro Gámez Machado