[Buildroot] customizations to package recipes in BR2_EXTERNAL?

Liam Staskawicz liam at stask.net
Mon Jun 18 17:16:46 UTC 2018

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 4:48 AM, Carlos Santos <casantos at datacom.com.br> wrote:

Thanks. This is not exactly straightforward, as it requires significant renaming of variables in the package to match the new package name, which is a bit brittle.

If there were a mechanism that allowed for a copy of the package in BR2_EXTERNAL to take precedence over a package with the same name in the core buildroot packages directory, that could address some of those issues, but perhaps there are other issues with it that I'm not aware of.

If this is really the best option, I would probably just maintain a clone of the buildroot repo with my changes in it, as that would be simpler (though as I originally mentioned, not desirable).

> A more generic solution would be allowing the user to select the desired
> version by means of a sub-menu. This seems to make sense for a package
> that install pre-compiled binaries, like nvidia-driver does.

If that's workable, that would address my concern.

Thanks,
Liam