[Buildroot] Using a bootlin toolchain with buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Sun Jun 17 11:47:12 UTC 2018

Hello Patrick,

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 22:28:08 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:

> >  4/ Create a tarball of /opt/armv7-eabihf--musl--stable-2018.02-2 and
> >     you're done :-)
> So, once I do that, I can pull that tarball into my build as if it
> were a bootliin tarball?

Yes.

> And buildroot is smart enough to run the relocate-sdk.sh script
> contained therein?

No, Buildroot is not smart enough to do this, but it's not a problem.
The relocate-sdk.sh is necessary to fixup path in .la files, -config
scripts and stuff like that, which you don't have in a SDK that is just
a pure toolchain. The only thing that really matters is to have
relative RPATH, and that's already done as part of the "make sdk"
target.

Hence, "make sdk" + tarballing output/host already makes a toolchain
that is relocatable, and usable as-is as an external toolchain for
another Buildroot build.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com