[Buildroot] busybox build fail ... BUG_off_t_size_is_misdetected()

Mark Jackson mpfj-list at newflow.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 12:26:33 UTC 2018

On 19/12/2018 11:46, Mark Jackson wrote:
> I have an old buildroot setup that I'm trying to coax back into life using the later version.
>
> I've done:-
>
> $ git pull
> $ make clean
> $ make menuconfig (and fixed any deprecated options)
> $ make
>
> All seemed okay until the busybox build, where I got the message:-
>
>>   CC      applets/applets.o
>> In file included from include/busybox.h:8:0,
>>                  from applets/applets.c:9:
>> include/libbb.h:304:7: error: size of array ‘BUG_off_t_size_is_misdetected’ is negative
>>   char BUG_off_t_size_is_misdetected[sizeof(off_t) == sizeof(uoff_t) ? 1 : -1];
>>        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> scripts/Makefile.build:197: recipe for target 'applets/applets.o' failed
>
> If I use the default busybox config, then everything seems to build correctly, so I can only put it down to some mis-match in my custom busybox config.
>
> I've attached my busybox .config ... if anyone can shed some light on what's wrong, I'd be most grateful.

After some web searching [1], I have found that if I enable LFS, it all builds fine.

So I assume there's some other applet that assumes LFS is enabled.
If so, should there be some dependency check to flag that as an issue ?

And how do I build *without* LFS enabled ?

Cheers
Mark JACKSON

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/usbarmory/7vfT07jv8zo/discussion