[Buildroot] Proposed patch: allow setting an hashed root password

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Mar 22 16:14:54 UTC 2015

On 22/03/15 17:00, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Lorenzo, All,
>
> On 2015-03-22 16:09 +0100, Lorenzo Catucci spake thusly:
>> Please find enclosed my proposed patch. I've posted the patch to a GH fork of
>> the main repository too: look at the «hashed_root_pw» branch of
>>
>> 	https://github.com/lmctv/buildroot
>>
>> The reason I've enabled the new «BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD_HASH»
>> configuration option is being able to set a "*" password hash for the root
>> user without being forced to put a static /etc/shadow inside BR2_ROOTFS_OVERLAY.
>>
>> Even if setting a "real" password, I think the option to put a sha256 or
>> sha512 hash in the .config is a lot less scary than putting a plaintext
>> password, especially in the case of sha512 .
>>
>> Thank you very much, yours
>>
>> 	lorenzo m catucci
>>

> NAK.

 What Yann wants to say is:

 Thank you, Lorenzo, for your patch. However, you have not followed the patch
submission guidelines. Patches should be submitted in-line, preferably using git
send-email. Any "personal" comments can be added below a --- line after your
Signed-off-by.

> First, the commit log should only explain the technical reasons for the
> change, and not contain "personal" messages:
>
>     first line, short explanation
>
>     One (or more) paragraph explainging the current situation and why
>     you believe it is incorrect.
>
>     One (or more) paragraph explaining what you changed.
>
>     Signed-ogg-by: Your Real Name <your-email at somehwere.net>
>
> Second, there's something odd: clearly the patch prefers the hashed
> password over the clear-text one, but does not prevent the user to set
> both.

 Therefore, perhaps a better approach is to detect the $-pattern of an
already-encrypted password in package/mkpasswd/mkpasswd.c and skip the hashing
in that case.

> Third, if you want to do tricky password handling like this, I think it
> would be better if you passed a "user table" (BR2_ROOTFS_USERS_TABLES)
> that defines the root user and its password, like documented in the
> mkuser infra:
>     http://buildroot.net/downloads/manual/manual.html#makeuser-syntax

 +1 to that.

 So perhaps a better idea is to add that to the help text of
BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD.

 Regards,
 Arnout