[Buildroot] [RFC 00/11] common init infrastructure

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sat Mar 21 20:41:22 UTC 2015

On 21/03/15 19:26, Alex Suykov wrote:
> This series is intended to clean up buildroot init system somewhat,
> removing the need for extensive sysv and systemd handling code
> in every package that installs init bits, and allowing alternative
> init systems to be implemented with reasonable amount of effort.

 Wow, impressive. I hadn't imagined it would be possible to get this far.

 I have a couple of overall remarks before I dive into the individual patches.

- Although we have a dependency on python, we don't currently use python for any
of the core functionality (i.e., just building). Personally I like python a lot,
but now you already have to know make and shell pretty well in order to touch
the buildroot core. Adding python to the mix is making the threshold even higher.

- The generation script looks a bit complicated, while on the other hand the
.run files are really terse. I'd prefer a bit more verbosity in the .run files,
especially if that can make the generation script a bit simpler.

- The changes for .users and .files are pretty much independent from this series
so they could be put in a separate series. And I'm anyway not convinced that
they're worthwhile.

 Regards,
 Arnout