[Buildroot] gdbserver located outside *SYSROOT

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Mon Mar 16 17:05:53 UTC 2015

Alexey, All,

On 2015-03-16 15:45 +0000, Alexey Brodkin spake thusly:
> I just realized that in pre-built ARC GNU tools gdbserver resides
> outside of SYSROOT_DIR/ARCH_SYSROOT_DIR.
>
> Historically we put gdbserver in top-level "target-bin" folder.
>
> And I'm wondering how to deal with it to get proper copy of it onto
> target if BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_GDB_SERVER_COPY is selected.
>
>  [1] Do we really need to re-consider placement of gdbserver for our
> next release of GNU tools for ARC? Then what could be the best location?

Well, other toolchains usually put gdbserver in the sysroot or the
arch-sysroot, so it looks like a proper location to put it.

crosstool-NG toolchains put it in a specific directory, 'debug-root',
which stands side-by-side with the sysroot (not necessarily the best
move I did with that, but that's supported by Buildroot).

gdbserver, being a target executable, really has no place in the
top-level bin/ directory. It would be good to move it out of there.

>  [2] Will setup of TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_FIXUP_CMDS to cp gdbserver to some
> related location be a good solution of the problem (if so then maybe
> forget about [1] at least until we have multilibbed tools for ARC)?

Yes, using _FIXUP_CMDS is a good solution, and is made exactly for this
kind of situation. Just copy in into sysroot/bin/ and you're done.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.