[Buildroot] Worried about patches not being merged?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Mar 19 11:09:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:45:02 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:

> > It's written in Django, and the code base is small as I said, so should
> > be easy to get involved. And the maintainer is also very nice, so
> > contributing shouldn't be a problem. patchwork's maintainer is even
> > using Buildroot himself, and he has contributed a number of patches, so
> > the project is definitely not unknown to him.
>
> I'm already looking at the code!

Cool!

> > This is definitely not the workflow we use today, and probably not the
> > one we would like to use.
>
> Yes, it is out of the box. But changing that workwflow is really easy.
> From my experiments, you can adapt it to buildroot workflow, in which
> a patch can be applied only after a severe review.

Ah, really? Could you describe a bit the workflow / how it would work ?

> Yes, I know, and that's unfortunate. Btw I think this is a ckicken egg
> problem, if user patches get reviewed after month, users lose interest
> and then tend to contribute less.

Yes, I fully agree on this. And that's why I spending *all* my
Buildroot time on reviewing/merging patches from others.

> Count on me and please delegate to me patches you think I can help
> review, I'm learning but I want to contribute more!

When, just pick whatever patches in the queue you believe you are
competent to review / test / ack.

> Yes, can understand and I think the problem is not with this patches,
> but the pile of new packages / medium level patches / newbie patches.

Well, is there really such a huge pile of new packages / medium level
patches / newbie patches ? We tend to apply them fairly quickly, in
general.

If there are so many "easy" patches, then please review / test / ack
them. Look at the A/R/T column at
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/. It indicates the
number of Acked-by, Reviewed-by and Tested-by tags. As you can see,
it's almost 0 0 0 for all patches. Which means nobody reviewed, tested
or acked the patches.

Also, if you think one patch is ready, has been given some
Acked/Reviewed/Tested tags and still doesn't get applied, please ping
me on IRC with a link to this patch.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons