[Buildroot] Worried about patches not being merged?

Angelo Compagnucci angelo.compagnucci at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:45:02 UTC 2015

Dear Thomas,

<thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
> Angelo,
>
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:34:47 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
>
>> > Patchwork is an open-source project, the code base is pretty small and
>> > easy, so feel free to contribute improvements!
>>
>> Why not, I will try to take a look, I'm really acquainted to web
>> programming with various web frameworks.
>
> It's written in Django, and the code base is small as I said, so should
> be easy to get involved. And the maintainer is also very nice, so
> contributing shouldn't be a problem. patchwork's maintainer is even
> using Buildroot himself, and he has contributed a number of patches, so
> the project is definitely not unknown to him.

I'm already looking at the code!

>> > What you could do however, since patchwork has the complete e-mails, is
>> > create a "Reply" button next to each patch in patchwork, that would
>> > open up the patch and format a reply to it so that you can review the
>> > patch.
>>
>> Yes, this is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm making some experiments
>> with http://getbarkeep.org, it's email based and has really a nice
>> review system, get a look at the video. Patchworks should offer
>> something similar.
>
> I had a quick look at barkeep, but it seems that the workflow they have
> is completely different than the one we want and use in the Buildroot
> community. From
> https://github.com/ooyala/barkeep/wiki/Comparing-Barkeep-to-other-code-review-tools,
> it says:
>
>   Barkeep was built at Ooyala, where we usually prefer a post-commit
>   code review workflow for our products. This is where developers push
>   to master as soon as their code is ready (i.e. looks nice, tests are
>   written and pass) so other developers can begin integrating it. Code
>   review happens when it's convenient for the team (within 1-2 days),
>   and any comments are addressed in future commits.
>
> This is definitely not the workflow we use today, and probably not the
> one we would like to use.

Yes, it is out of the box. But changing that workwflow is really easy.
>From my experiments, you can adapt it to buildroot workflow, in which
a patch can be applied only after a severe review.

>> > Also, often people complaining about e-mail and wanting to use
>> > web-based stuff instead is because their e-mail client or e-mail setup
>> > in general sucks. Do you have a good and efficient e-mail client? If
>> > you don't, then the issue might be here.
>>
>> Gmail is a good email client, no problems here. But if our mail
>> clients are easy to use, why there are patches as old as February
>> 2014?
>
> Because the problem is not tools, but time. We've got more and more
> patches contributing, but not enough people helping with
> reviewing/testing. So far, it's almost only Arnout, Yann, Peter, Baruch
> and me doing regularly code reviews. Vicente is also helping by testing
> patches. We need more people involved in the review process.

Yes, I know, and that's unfortunate. Btw I think this is a ckicken egg
problem, if user patches get reviewed after month, users lose interest
and then tend to contribute less.
I also have  a pile of patches that I rebase at each pull, but waiting
to send them case the backlog it's already full!

Count on me and please delegate to me patches you think I can help
review, I'm learning but I want to contribute more!

> Also, on a number of pending patches, the reason they get stuck is
> because they raise some questions/challenges that need to be discussed.
> Something like just new package or a package bump that does not do
> anything fancy is easy to review and merge. But something like the
> per-package sysroot directory from Fabio, or some other big series,
> require a lot more discussion / review because it's changing a lot of
> things.

Yes, can understand and I think the problem is not with this patches,
but the pile of new packages / medium level patches / newbie patches.

> But indeed, having a way to categorize patches in patchwork would be
> good. Maybe a simple tag system, so that we can associate random tags
> to patches, and classify using that.

I'll try to look into this!

Sincerely, Angelo.

--