[Buildroot] ping not working in a glibc based buildroot

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Thu Jul 10 21:18:05 UTC 2014

Eial, All,

On 2014-07-10 17:25 +0300, Eial Czerwacki spake thusly:
> On 07/10/2014 05:16 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > Dear Eial Czerwacki,
> >
> > On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:13:57 +0300, Eial Czerwacki wrote:
> >
> >> I've added libnss_dns-2.18.so to the img and libresolv.so and it seems
> >> to be working.
> >> the files are missing because I work in a kinda limited size.
> > So you removed them manually? I'd like to understand what happened, to
> > fix Buildroot if needed.
> >
> >> do I need the other libnss_*.so files?
> > By default, we only copy libnss_dns (to do DNS resolution) and
> > libnss_files (to do /etc/hosts based resolution), and we don't copy the
> > other libnss_* libraries, which are used for more advanced name
> > resolution that are generally not used on most embedded systems.
> >
> > See 'man nsswitch.conf' for more details.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Thomas
> I see, as I don't use /etc/hosts, I think I don't need libnss_files.

The NSS libraries are not used only to provide DNS resolving.

They are used to do any kind of name lookups:
  - IP <-> hostname mapping (as already mentioned),
  - UID <-> username mapping,
  - gid <-> group name mapping,
  - and a bunch more. See the complete list:  man nsswitch.conf

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.