[Buildroot] ping not working in a glibc based buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Jul 10 14:16:45 UTC 2014

Dear Eial Czerwacki,

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:13:57 +0300, Eial Czerwacki wrote:

> I've added libnss_dns-2.18.so to the img and libresolv.so and it seems
> to be working.
> the files are missing because I work in a kinda limited size.

So you removed them manually? I'd like to understand what happened, to
fix Buildroot if needed.

> do I need the other libnss_*.so files?

By default, we only copy libnss_dns (to do DNS resolution) and
libnss_files (to do /etc/hosts based resolution), and we don't copy the
other libnss_* libraries, which are used for more advanced name
resolution that are generally not used on most embedded systems.

See 'man nsswitch.conf' for more details.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons