[Buildroot] Analysis of build failures

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Sun Nov 10 10:32:35 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 09:43:19AM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 08:25:25 +0200, Baruch Siach wrote:
> > uClibc valloc() depends on UCLIBC_SUSV2_LEGACY which is not enabled in the
> > default uClibc config. Should we enable it?
>
> Yes. The UCLIBC_SUSV2_LEGACY symbol was added after 0.9.33.2, so it
> explains why only Xtensa (which uses the uClibc snapshot version) is
> affected.

I see if I can cook up a patch.

> Maybe we can replace the valloc() call with posix_memalign()
> and send the patch upstream to cdrkit?

cdrkit has not see a release in more than 3 years. There are probably other
packages making use of the obsolete valloc() routine, so I guess we want to
enable UCLIBC_SUSV2_LEGACY anyway.

> Also, can you sync up with Chris to provide a patch that makes Xtensa
> not use a snapshot version, but a fixed version of uClibc (based on a
> git commit, for example) ? The snapshot version we currently use is
> really bad, because depending on when you run the build, you will get
> different build results. This is really not how Buildroot should work:
> snapshot versions are only provided for expert users who want to test
> the latest versions of uClibc, such versions shouldn't be used as the
> default.

The original patch of Chris adding xtensa support (75720db3, xtensa: add
support for the Xtensa architecture) just disabled all other uClibc version
for xtensa. The uClibc snapshot just became the version of choice by default.
As far as I know any recent master branch commit id could reasonably be used.
Should we add an "xtensa only" uClibc version, like the "avr32 only (0.9.31)"
version that we now have? Hasn't Bernhard Reutner-Fischer declared some kind
of -rc in the uclibc mailing list
(http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2013-November/048069.html)?

baruch