[Buildroot] Beaglebone Black support

Frank Hunleth fhunleth at troodon-software.com
Sun Jun 23 19:21:04 UTC 2013

I just got a Beaglebone Black and wanted to try out Buildroot with it.
The 3.8 kernel from TI that was referenced in beaglebone_defconfig
didn't boot all the way for me. I could probably do a better job of
getting it to work since it looked close, but I was interested in some
of the cape and PRU code that was in the beaglebone.org kernel
patches. The good news was that as soon as I applied all of the
beaglebone.org kernel patches to a plain 3.8.13 kernel, the
buildroot-built images started booting with the peripherals of
interest working (minor issues, but it looks promising.)

I'd like to get things in a form that I could contribute upstream and
I'm not sure how to deal with the kernel. Both "kernels" referenced by
people on the beageboard mailing lists, the beaglebone.org kernel and
the Robert J. Nelson kernel, are really a list of patches (100s of
them) and a shell script to download the 3.8.13 kernel and apply them.
See here for an example:

https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/tree/3.8

Angstrom deals with this by having a copy of the patches in
meta-beagleboard and referencing them in the .bb file. See:

https://github.com/beagleboard/meta-beagleboard/blob/master/common-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-mainline_3.8.bb

However, copying the patches over to buildroot seems wrong and painful
to maintain, but as far as I can tell, there's no official/maintained
git repo with the beaglebone.org kernel patches.

I was wondering if there were any thoughts about a nice way to handle
this... or has anyone already done this, but not submitted their
patches?

Thanks,
Frank