[Buildroot] binutils doesn't like -elf2flt option

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed Jun 19 08:03:51 UTC 2013

>> Sorry, to clarify - I get the error running just "make", but if I want to
>> experiment by changing build flags, I can run "make binutils" to skip
>> recompiling gcc, uclibc, etc. and just attempt the bit that recently failed.
>
> I believe you're still confusing the target binutils (which gets built
> when you run "make binutils") with the cross binutils (which gets built
> together with gcc, uclibc as part of the cross-compilation toolchain,
> this one can be rebuilt explicitly by doing "make host-binutils").

That's possible, but I don't believe so.  I understand that "make binutils"
will compile the target binutils.  But when I just run "make" it successfully
builds the host binutils, then continues on to build the target binutils,
where it fails.  So I was just running "make binutils" as a quick way of
recompiling the target binutils while I was trying to figure out a way around
the problem.  I now realise that the problem is this package (target binutils)
shouldn't be being built at all, so you can probably forget my comment about
"make binutils" now :-)

> Do you need the target binutils? If you need BFLT support, your target
> system has no MMU, so is probably a bit memory limited, so what would
> you need to have binutils on your target on a small system?

No I don't want the target binutils, but I don't seem to be able to disable
it.  It's deselected in the buildroot config, but it still seems to be getting
compiled.  How would I go about working out why?  I'm not sure how to debug
all the make dependencies.

Thanks,
Adam.