[Buildroot] binutils doesn't like -elf2flt option

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Jun 15 10:26:09 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile a toolchain with elf2flt enabled, but I'm having
problems getting binutils to compile.

Normally the parameter "-W,-elf2flt" is passed to GCC to tell it to pass
"-elf2flt" to the linker.  elf2flt then picks this up and does what it needs
to, courtesy of a wrapper script around "ld".  I have set this parameter in
TARGET_CFLAGS in one of the buildroot makefiles.

However when I am compiling binutils, it seems that elf2flt has not been
installed yet, so it is not recognising the -elf2flt option, and gives me this
error:

arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc -o conftest -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -pipe -Os  -Wl,-elf2flt
-DBR_BINFMT_FLAT   --static -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/foo conftest.c  >&5
arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol
lf2flt; defaulting to 00000000000080c0

I think binutils needs to use elf2flt, otherwise any binaries it produces will
not be in BFLT format, so I am guessing I need to tell buildroot to compile
elf2flt before binutils.  Does this sound correct?  Is it even possible to
compile something like that before binutils?  Or do I have to somehow avoid
passing the -elf2flt parameter to binutils?  How might one achieve this?

Many thanks,
Adam.